Improv Vegetable Soup
Ingredients – use as much or little as you like. Or try other things.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Assorted Vegetables (corn, peas, green beans), if desired
- Pearl Barley or lentils, if desired
- Stew beef, chicken, Quorn, mushrooms, or other vegetarian protein, if desired
- Water and low sodium chicken stock/vegetable stock to cover
- Other tasty additions: herbs (basil, thyme, oregano, marjoram, etc) or an herb blend like Italian herbs, red pepper flakes, spices (curry powder or paprika), a parmesan rind.
Kitchen tools needed
- Soup pot & spoon
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat until warm.
- Saute onions, carrots, & celery to desired doneness. Add garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes, and optional vegetation. Scrape off any brown bits from the sauteing. Add some salt and pepper for initial seasoning.
- Add cooking liquid of your choice and bring to a simmer. Add barley or lentils if using. Add dried herbs and pepper flake. If using fresh herbs, wait to add until the end. Keep the heat at a level that maintains the simmer, but doesn’t go to a full boil.
- Cook it until it’s done. Add fresh herbs if using.
- Serve with bread or other joy bringer.